SMVDSB, Recognizing the need for competitive physical activity to promote healthy lifestyle and inculcate a spirit of sportsmanship, fair play and comradeship among the citizens, particularly young boys and girls, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) embarked an ambitious program of setting up a quality sports facility at Katra under its social responsibility scheme.
The main objectives of the policy are:-
- To promote Games and Sports in and around Katra by encouraging young players and people.
- To promote and increase health consciousness through fitness programs and activities among masses.
- To channelize energies of young generation towards healthy, constructive and competitive sporting activities.
- To promote outstanding talent with specialised coaching and provision of equipment for achieving excellence in the field of sports.
- To encourage Employees of SMVDSB and their children to take part in Sports activities.
- To strengthen National integration and goodwill among the people of various regions through sports.
- To encourage pilgrims of Shri Mata Vaishno Devi to avail the sporting opportunities during their short stay in the holy town.
Achieving the objectives:
The facility will primarily cater to the people living in Katra and its neighbourhood, pilgrims and employees of the SMVDSB and its affiliated units like SMVD University. It will bring together sportsmen from different parts of the state and the country during tournaments organised by the Board, the universities, and by the Sports Authorities of the State and the country. The Board shall be providing sport facilities in phased manner as detailed below:-
- Athletics (Middle distance races and Throwing events)
- Table Tennis
- Shooting (10 metres)
- Lawn Tennis
- Though Sports facility shall be available for above sports the specialised coaching shall be made available for creating sports excellence in following sports:- • Phase I- Athletics & Archery • Phase II- Shooting & Kabaddi
- The Stadium shall be used for Cricket, Football, Hockey, Handball, Wrestling, Kho-Kho & Kabaddi for organising tournaments on need basis.
- The Shrine Board intends creating further sports infrastructure in future by construction of Indoor Sports facilities and other sports infrastructure as decided by the Board.
These objectives will be achieved in the following manner:
- Making available the peripheral walkway to the morning/ evening walkers on nominal maintenance charges.
- Throwing open the outdoor sports facilities, Gymnasium, and Lawn Tennis facilities for members against a nominal maintenance fee and security deposit.
- Development of more sports facilities in phased manner in future.
- Talent search from neighbouring areas and free coaching of boys and girls in identified sports to prepare sportspersons of national and international levels.
- Encourage sports activities in neighbouring educational institutions, including the SMVD University by organizing inter-school, inter-college and inter-university sports events.
- Inculcate a habit of healthy lifestyle amongst employees of SMVDSB and their families; students of Gurukul and other schools run by the Board by providing them access to the facilities and organizing sports events.
- Organising sports activities at Junior and Senior levels, independently or in collaboration with the Sports Authorities of the State and the Country.
- Make available the Stadium for sports and cultural activities to Sports authorities, educational institutions and Government departments at reasonable charges.
- By allowing pilgrims to use the facilities during their brief stay at Katra.
- By organising sporting events throughout the year as per annual Calendar of activities.
Management, Governance and Administration::
The activities in the sports complex created by the Board shall be governed by the basic principles fixed by Shrine Board and as enumerated in this policy and as modified from time to time. The Board shall notify rules & byelaws for management and administration of the sports complex and notify the competent authorities for implementation of the rules.